Monday, September 24, 2007

Thoughts on The Princess Bride

First off, this movie is absolutely horrible. The story is predictable and unsuspenseful, the acting is mediocre, the sets are totally fake, the cinematography is bland and seems to be trying to hide the community park just to the left of the lens, and the production values are just atrocious.

Then I realized, there is no way this movie is this bad unless it's intentional. But then I thought to myself, what's the point of making this movie intentionally bad? Because it's supposed to be a story being read by a Grandpa? I don't get it.

I also wonder how much different this movie would be if it was just the story without the grandpa and kid. I know there's a reason for them being there, but I just don't see why this movie couldn't have been just been a movie without a grandpa telling it.

I also noticed how many other things ripped off this movie, the first of which being the Secret of Monkey Island. The traveling circus troupe is a direct source for the "Men of Low Morale Fiber" and the idea of the Machine was also ripped by Monkey island, and also having the end being in a church where they go "Stop the wedding!" Also the line "I am character name. Prepare to die!" was copied by Guybrush.

And then I realized Shrek ripped this movie off too, and some other game called A Tale of Two Kingdoms.

So yes, it was horrible. Robotech was so amazingly corny that it was just funny. This movie was just so awful that you're not sure whether to laugh along or pretend that it's not awful.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9/24/2007 6:46 PM, Blogger ifedajay said...

Well I liked it!

 
At 9/24/2007 11:16 PM, Blogger TheJBurger said...

Yeah, this is a family film with an 80s style where you accept that the actors are on sets.

And I'm an overly harsh and analytical critic who likes to destroy everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home