Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thoughts On Pan's Labyrinth

I didn't get it.


*SPOILERS*



*SPOILERS*

There are two stories going on here: the story of Ofelia who is given three tasks by a mystical faun in order to prove her worth as a princess (um, what?), and the story of the guerrillas versus the soldiers which involves a cast of characters, betrayal, and intrigue, resulting in lots of people getting killed off.
As far as the story is concerned, I didn't really get how this was supposed to work. The main problem of the story is that the girl doesn't know if she is a princess and must do 3 tasks to prove it?
Anyway, what I did like was the parts of the movie where the fantasy world interacted with the real world and had consequences that impacted the plot and the characters. These would be the parts where Ofelia ruins her dress, the mandrake root has a weird, allegorical impact on the baby, and the final sequence of the movie where you don't know what's going to happen.
However, despite whatever qualms I had about it, I thought the movie really picked up during the second half, and had some great scenes, such as the one with the baby-eating-feast-man. It was very reminiscent of the Mummy-Stare-Freaks in Zelda, or entering an unknown dungeon in Oblivion.
In the end though, the movie completed on an unusual note, making me feel like I missed something or just didn't "get it." It would appear that the movie would be good to those movie viewers who could decipher some obviously hidden meaning, putting all the scenes and actions into perspective, but I find it hard to be enjoyable since I don't understand what all the undertones mean (though they appear to obviously be religious-based).
I watched Spirited Away, and I knew there had to be some hidden meaning, but I didn't have any clue what it meant. Did I still enjoy it? Yes.
In Pan's Labyrinth, I felt as if I had to get the hidden meaning for the movie to actually be enjoyable. At least that's my experience.

Worth Watching? Yes, to draw your own conclusions about it.

And seriously, how many times is the director/cinematographer going to do scene transitions by panning the camera over the giant black tree/post/pillar/rock/wall to lead us into the next scene?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8/03/2008 3:33 PM, Blogger ifedajay said...

O hahaha I noticed that scene changer thing tooooo!
But you know, they were in a forest...

Yeah, I liked it, but I wanna know if it was all in her imagination or what?

 
At 8/04/2008 11:29 PM, Blogger ifedajay said...

I wonder where the author of this blog is at right now...

 
At 8/06/2008 8:20 PM, Blogger TheJBurger said...

IM HOME HAHAHAHAHHAHAAH

 
At 8/08/2008 5:44 PM, Blogger ifedajay said...

I see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 10/15/2008 9:38 AM, Blogger Ghost said...

For me, the fantasy sequences were really just in the girl's imagination. If you see the movie and treat all the princess quest stuff as escapism (right word), it really makes sense, and becomes an even darker movie...

The baby eating, thin man for example, sits at his table right where, in the dinner scene before, her mother's new "lover" sits... allegory anymore?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home