Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Psychonauts

"I am on the road crew. This is my stop sign."

SPOILER CENTER!

Graphics:
The graphics were actually better than I thought. I thought they would be super cartoony (They are) and kind of ugly. But they're super cartoony and with lots of polygons!

Animation:
The animation is excellent.

Gameplay:
I found it sort of tedious the whole way through (collecting things). When I played the demo, I thought it was super fun (collecting things). When I play the real game a year later, I find it like... When I start a level, I immediately have to start collecting every figment, every tag, and crack every safe, or else I'll kill myself if I don't.

Levels:
The levels are probably the best thing about the game. They are insanely crazy and funny.
Basic Braining: Was kinda boring, since I already played it on the demo.
Sasha's Shooting Gallery: Fun. Things start going wrong and you have to fix it.
Milla's Dance Party: Was a little boring with all the jumping puzzles. Levitation is the best power though.
Brain Tumbler Experiment: Interesting, especially since you have no idea what's going to happen next.
Lungfishopolis: Funny, yet kind of a nuisance.
Milkman Conspiracy: I thought this level was pure genious. It was so crazy, funny, interesting, and ingenious.
Broadway Stage: I found it quite fun. Especially chasing the phantom.
Napoleon vs. Fred: The concept was really interesting and fun, but the idea that I had to run across that whole land collecting figments and killing bad guys tired me out.
Bull Fight City: I thought this was an awesome and fun level. Talking dogs can never go wrong.
Circus : Kind of tedious, especially when little Oliander keeps dying and I don't know where he is, or when I keep falling into the water pit. Annoying.

And regarding the actual park and locations: They're cool. The asylum was well designed too. And fun.

Story:
Before I played the game, I heard the story was: You go to a psychic summer camp to become a psychonaut but then everybody's brain gets kidnapped and you have to rescue them from the evil bad guy (which is 90% probably the coach).
I played the game, and that's exactly what happened. So, it was a little boring. But one interesting feature was the backstories of the characters, and how they played out into the levels and were revealed through cracking safes which showed a slideshow. That was interesting.

Sound/Music:
It wasn't bad. It was good. It created the right atmosphere.

There was also a ton of cutscenes.

I think playing games when you know nothing about gameplay/story/puzzles might be better for you.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8/09/2006 6:03 PM, Blogger ifedajay said...

I love this game! Except for when "certain people" will not quit lookig for deeply buried arrowheads!!

Yeah, of course I liked the Milkman's brain! It was great!!

Oh, yeah, and I think that character who kills squirrels is so funny...!!

I wish I saw more of the Napolean game...it looked so fun...

But I think if you actually sat down and played it...it might get tiresome...except when they throw in stuff to help the story continue.

 
At 8/09/2006 6:13 PM, Blogger TheJBurger said...

I need those arrowheads to buy my cobweb duster.

I thought the story was very simple, but the great thing about it was the backstories and the characters.

When I played the demo, the whole concept and gameplay was more original to me, so when I played the full game, I already expected some stuff so I wasn't as WOWed by it.

 
At 8/15/2006 11:06 PM, Blogger ifedajay said...

I don't like Raz's hair...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home